An award scheme with a difference
Kent’s wildlife needs your help. By making your garden welcoming to nature you can create those vital stepping stones and corridors that creatures such as hedgehogs need.
What is Wild About Gardens?
We don’t expect you to turn your backyard into a mini nature reserve. Chic city gardens and potager plots can be turned into wildlife havens with just a few simple changes.
Volunteer advisors visit gardens to assess how wildlife friendly they are. The Volunteers are happy to visit a work in progress to offer friendly advice and encouragement.
There is no overall winner, apart from the wildlife of course.
How can I get involved?
There are 2 ways to get involved with Wild About Gardens:
1. Enter your garden
Entries for the 2018 Wild About Gardens Awards are now closed. Keep an eye out for news about our Award winners and our end of year celebration event.
2. Become a volunteer advisor
We're not taking on any new volunteer advisors right now but check back soon for next year's new roles, or for an informal chat please contact Maureen.Rainey@kentwildlife.org.uk 01622 662012.
We are grateful to our sponsors without whom we wouldn’t be able to run the scheme:
- Optivo: lead sponsor and sponsor of the “Advisors choice award”
- Unipet International: sponsor of the “Best garden for wild birds”
- Bumblebee Conservation Trust: sponsor of “Garden with the best buzz”
- Kent Bat Group: sponsor of “Best garden for bats”
- Kent Mammal Group: sponsor of “Best hedgehog garden”
- Kent Reptile and Amphibian Group: sponsor of “Best new or renovated pond"