Phase 1 Habitat Survey Day – Part 1
About the event
Our Phase 1 Habitat Survey Days is a two-day course with Part 1 on 18th June and Part 2 on 2nd July 2021.
On Part 1 is a classroom and field-based introduction to Phase 1 Habitat Survey. You will learn to identify key indicator plant species that will help you recognise and distinguish broad habitat types and gain confidence in writing target notes on habitat features. It includes a short field visit to a reserve.
Part 1 is aimed at professional ecologists, students and interested amateurs who want to learn or improve Phase 1 identification of vegetation habitats. It is useful if participants have some basic knowledge of plant families and species identification but this is not essential.
By the end of the session, it is expected that you will:
- Have an understanding of Phase 1 broad habitat types and how they are defined.
- Be able to identify some key indicator plant species to help distinguish different grassland habitats.
- Understand the terms and how to identify unimproved, semi-improved and improved grassland.
- Learn when it is appropriate to map amenity grassland.
- Know what to include in good target notes.
The cost for this two-day course is £110 per person
Part 2 on 2nd July provides further practice in plant identification with an emphasis on key indicator species for each habitat and discussion of useful features for target notes.
Please note that this course concentrates on the accurate identification of vegetation habitats, especially different grassland types and does not cover Extended Phase 1 Habitat Survey i.e. The identification of habitats suitable for protected species.
This course is now fully booked but you can add your name to the waiting list by clicking on the orange 'Join Waitlist' button further down this page.
Know before you go
What to bring
Packed lunch and drink.